LGBT+ Student Officer:
Hi I’m Nat Dalkiewicz, the LGBT+ Officer at NUA!
I work with the university and other student officers to represent, support and campaign on behalf of LGBT+ students at NUA.
Student Unions’ have a long history of standing with LGBT+ groups to make change in the face of adversary. At NUASU, we are no different and want to continuously create spaces for community-building, support and action.
As a student officer, I sit on the Students’ Union Steering Committee and work alongside the SU President to ensure the interests, ideas and feedback of LGBT+ Students is heard and acted on. Here are some of the things you can contact me about:
· Campaigns, projects or initiatives – if you have an idea, we want to hear it!
· Feedback, complaints or concerns relating to your experience of studying at NUA or living in Norwich.
· Representation of LGBT+ at SU, University and National level.
If you would like to get in touch, please contact me via: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NUASU’s Pride Society is a student-led group dedicated to supporting and representing NUA students who identify as LGBTQ+. You can find out more about the society here.
Interested in this role?
Our Liberation officers are elected annually in the summer term and start their role from September. You can view the role description here. If you think you would be a great Disabilities officer, nominate yourself when elections open!
Support at NUA:
NUA Student Support has a great resource hub for both support and help with making changes to your NUA experience, such as changing gender and name on your student record.
During your studies, Student Support are available to help with a wide range of issues that might affect you. Appointments are available between 10am and 4pm Monday - Friday, during term time and the holidays. Appointments are currently taking place remotely over Microsoft Teams or over the phone. For appointments contact Student Support via email@example.com, phone 01603 977977 or book through Student Enquiries in St Georges.
External Support Providers:
· Norwich Pride - Norwich Pride is a celebration of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT+) community for everyone. Traditionally held in June-July each year.
· Norfolk LGBT+ Project - support, information and advice to all age groups that is relevant to the health and wellbeing of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in Norfolk and Waveney since 200.
· LGBT+ Norfolk and Waveney Mind - health and wellbeing resources for people who indentify as LGBTQA+.
· through MAP Norfolk - MAP’s free, confidential gender identity support service for young people who identify on the broad ‘trans spectrum’ – including intersex people and non-binary people who may or may not also identify as trans, as well as those who are questioning their identity.
· Terrence Higgins Trust - inclusive sexual health services based in Norwich who partner with NUASU to provide a range of male, female and inclusive sexual health kits. These are available from the SU Lounge, St Andrews House.
Activism and Campaigns:
Here are some campaign areas that we are continuously lobbying on:
Pronouns and online teaching:
As of September 2021, students will be able to add their pronouns when they enrol.
We encourage all students who feel comfortable to add their pronouns into their “status message” on Teams. This makes it a more welcoming space for non-binary and trans students, and also stops the presumption that you know someone’s gender before talking to them!
If you need your name changed then you can contact Student Support, your name can be changed without any legal documents up until the point of receiving a degree certificate. Teams does cache names, so if someone’s device is caching a previous name there is not much IT can do about this.
Gender Neutral Toilets:
We are aware that the Gender Neutral toilets on campus are not the best they can be, which is why we are lobbying the University to change it. Currently, a review is being carried out, however we would advise anyone who is unhappy with the arrangement to contact firstname.lastname@example.org who can help advise with a complaint.
Get involved in Norwich Pride:
If you would like to speak to the SU about an issue or campaign idea, please contact the LGBT+ Officer email@example.com or the President via firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also pop in to the SU Lounge, located in the basement of St Andrews House during normal office hours for a confidential chat. There is an accessible lift down to the basement level through the brown doors to the left of St Andrews House main entrance.